School Reopening Sanitizing & Child Safety Checklist by GlanHealth™
Reopening and returning to school comes with several risks for students, parents, teachers, school administrators, and community groups alike. Protecting children and school staff from harmful germs and bacteria is paramount and takes a comprehensive, conscious effort that goes far beyond the use of personal protective equipment (PPE) and physical distancing.
Addressing each of the sanitizing touchpoints of school environments is critical to developing and adhering to reducing the spread of germs at schools that, in turn, improves attendance rates and overall health and wellbeing.
SANITIZING FOR CHILD SAFETY
When restoring industries and institutions such as schools, governmental guidance is available citing specific products and procedures. However, a discerning eye reveals significant risks to children and adults.
HANDS & SKIN
- Three approved active ingredients (in the absence of soap and water):
- Benzalkonium chloride (alcohol-free)
- Ethanol, isopropyl (alcohols)
- Alcohol contamination in hand sanitizer has negative effects
- Alcohol is a banned substance at K-12 schools. However:
- 35% of hand sanitizer ingestions occur at K-12 schools
- 120-190 proof alcohol is the essentially equivalent to alcohol-based hand sanitizer
- 4-hours (benzalkonium chloride/BZK/BEK)
- 20-seconds (alcohol “wet time”)
- Alcohol-free hand sanitizer for safe schools
- Dispensers for public access
- Personal use items
- Eliminates risk and liability on-campus
- Alternative cleaning & sanitizing products
- Quaternary ammonium compounds:
- Non-toxic, eco-friendly
- 28-days maximum effectiveness
- Floor-to-ceiling, 360-degree complete coverage
- Safe on all surfaces (including textiles and electronics)
- Most widely recommended active ingredient for environmental safety
- Widely used in food preparation
- Quaternary ammonium compounds:
- Traditional cleaning & sanitizing products
- Bleach, chlorine, alcohol:
- Highly toxic (liquids, fumes)
- 24-hours maximum effectiveness (bleach, chlorine)
- 20-seconds maximum effectiveness (alcohol)
- Daily reapplication, significant ventilation required
- Health risks: skin burns, eye injury, respiratory distress, death
- Bleach, chlorine, alcohol:
Traditional sanitizing products include highly toxic chemicals such as alcohol, bleach, and chlorine. Fumes from bleach and chlorine can trigger respiratory distress as well as topical skin and eye injuries. The short-lived nature of these chemicals is further reduced when precise instructions are not followed – this includes water quality. Hard water increases acidity of bleach and chlorine rendering the sanitizing solution less effective and more caustic to surfaces and materials. At best, bleach and chlorine have a maximum effective period of 24 hours.
While alcohol is technically a banned substance at K-12 schools, alcohol-based hand sanitizers (isopropyl, ethanol) are now well documented for intentional ingestions on school campuses. Alcohol equivalency of a 1 fl. oz. bottle of alcohol-based hand sanitizer (also known as alcohol-based hand rub, ABHR) can contain as much alcohol as 120-190 proof liquor. Alcohol absorbs through the skin increasing blood alcohol levels in people of all ages; children’s livers are not developed enough to process alcohol. Additionally, overuse of alcohol-based hand sanitizers may lead to cracked, dry, irritated skin and reapplying can irritate open skin. The effective period of alcohol is only when it is wet (approximately 20 seconds).
Fortunately, there is good news for parents, teachers, and school administrators.
Research and development by Dalrada Health’s GlanHealth™ provides the safest most economical path to quaternary ammonium compound-based safe sanitizing for children worldwide.
REOPENING SCHOOLS – SANITIZING TOUCHPOINTS
Schools must plan for daily cleaning and sanitizing of all touchable surfaces. This includes sanitizing classrooms and common areas on-campus, transportation to and from campus, and even learning materials and personal items transported to and from campus. Schools must also take into consideration food preparation areas and common dining areas.
High-traffic areas are high-risk areas. For schools, this includes and is not limited to:
- Phones, computers, and electronic devices
- Desks, tables, countertops and, chairs
- Light switches, windows, doorknobs, and door handles
- Hands-on learning items including books, supplies, toys, and games
- Shared areas including pencil sharpeners, and sinks
- Restrooms, gymnasiums, libraries, computer labs
- Food preparation areas, cafeterias, dining rooms, and food contact areas
- Backpacks and materials transported to/from school and home
- Vehicle transportation to and from campus
Recommended guidance is complete cleaning with soap and water plus daily sanitizing of these areas. Selecting the right products to achieve school sanitizing protocols is critical to the health and wellbeing of students and school staff.
SANITIZING SCHOOLS WITH NON-TOXIC ECO-FRIENDLY GLANHEALTH™
Schools now have access to made with quaternary ammonium compounds by GlanHealth™. These revolutionary cleaning and sanitizing products are made with EPA listed and FDA-approved active ingredients for hands, skin, and surface sanitizing.
Quaternary ammonium compounds are tested and supported by the science community to address the harshest germs – even in today’s environment. It’s no surprise that quaternary ammonium compounds top the government’s recommended products list for restoring institutions, industries, and businesses.
QUATERNARY AMMONIUM COMPOUNDS (QAC, BZK)
Non-toxic, eco-friendly quaternary ammonium compounds – also known as “QACs” and “quats” – are classified as organic salts (can be synthesized). Discovered 105 years ago for having germicidal properties, QACs are proven to provide hours to days of maximum protection. QACs are also non-flammable, non-toxic, and anti-static.
QACs are widely used for sanitizing in the food preparation industry. Everyday-use consumer products containing QACs include surface and skin sanitizers, surfactants (detergents, shampoos), fabric softeners, anti-static fabric treatments, baby wipes, mouthwash, and ophthalmological solutions.
GLANHEALTH™ REVOLUTIONARY MODE OF ACTION
All GlanHealth™ products with QAC-based formulations create a nano-thin, triple layer of persistent protection on hands, skin, and surfaces. GlanHealth’s unique and affordable sanitizing system is quickly and easily applied with sprays and wipes. Benefits include:
- Electro-chemo mode of action causes immediate germ cell demise.
- Up to 4 hours of protection on skin per application.
- Up to 28 days of protection on surfaces per application.
- Anti-static protection for use on electronics and in laundry.
- Non-damaging use on all touchable surfaces including furniture.
- Ease of use in an electrostatic sprayer, handheld sprayer, or wipes.
- Use in all spaces including food preparation and serving areas
GlanHealth’s revolutionary mode of action with quaternary ammonium compounds surpasses outdated modes of action and are why GlanHealth™ non-toxic, long-lasting sanitizing products provide a complete solution for safely reopening schools.
ALCOHOL-FREE SANITIZING FOR CHILD & PUBLIC SAFETY AT SCHOOLS
GlanHealth™ addresses child and public safety with alcohol-free, water-based hand and skin sanitizer formulations that contain the QAC benzalkonium chloride (BZK, an FDA approved active ingredient in hand sanitizer). Avoid the sting with GlanHealth™ hand sanitizers and skin repair formulations that soften skin with repeated use.
Eliminating all paths to alcohol access and ingestion on campus reduces the school’s risk of liability while increasing personal safety. Wall-mount alcohol-free hand sanitizer dispensers provide convenient access in classrooms and in common public access areas.
ALL TOUCHABLE SURFACES – 360-DEGREE COVERAGE FOR UP TO 28-DAYS
ALCOHOL-FREE SAFETY STATIONS – PREVENTS ALCOHOL ABUSE (INGESTION)
HANDS & BODY – UP TO 4-HOURS OF PROTECTION PER APPLICATION
GlanHealth’s All-Purpose Surface Complete is an all-in-one cleaner and sanitizer that lasts up to 28-days on all touchable surfaces. Simply spray and allow to dry or spray and wipe surfaces with All-Purpose Complete for maximum protection. A regularly scheduled spray service by GlanHealth™ provides floor-to-ceiling 360-degree protection on all surfaces including furniture and textiles. Its anti-static nature is safe to use on electronics, displays, and handheld devices. Designed for commercial kitchens and food preparation areas, GlanHealth™ also provides a food service formulation. Refreshing high-traffic and high-touch areas is quick and easy with a simple spray or wipe.
REOPEN SCHOOLS WITH CONFIDENCE
GlanHealth’s quaternary ammonium compound-based eco-friendly, alcohol-free sanitizing solutions provide schools, administrators, students, and parents a breath of fresh air and confidence to reopen safely. To view these powerful solutions, please visit GlanHealth™ Sanitizing Products.